Prospect Heights Park District Board
A seven-member elected board governs the park district; each serves a four-year term, with elections every two years. The district serves most of the city of Prospect Heights, a small portion of the village of Mount Prospect, Arlington Heights and Wheeling and non-residents from surrounding communities. The estimated population of the district is approximately 15,000.
The purpose of a board member is to develop policies; devise long-range plans, procedures and regulations for operations of the agency; monitor finances; and serve as a voting member. All board members are expected to attend monthly meetings, participating on various committees and attend standing committee meetings if a member. Members must be well-informed and aware of the needs of the community, participate in organizational decision-making, assume leadership roles in all board activities, represent the organization to the public and private industry and contribute skills, knowledge and experience when appropriate.
The Park Board provides equal opportunity in a manner which does not discriminate against any person because of race, creed, color, national origin, religion, sex, sexual orientation, ancestry, age, marital, civil union or family status.
Park Commissioner Qualifications:
- Each member of the Park Board of Commissioners must be a citizen of the United States, 18 years of age or older, a registered voter in the Prospect Heights Park District, a resident of the State of Illinois, and a resident within the Prospect Heights Park District’s jurisdictional boundaries.
- A person is not eligible to serve as a Park Commissioner if that person is in arrears in the payment of tax or other indebtedness due to the Park District, or has been convicted in any court located in the United States of any infamous crime, bribery, perjury, or other felony.
Basic Expectations of Park Commissioners:
- Attend Board meetings and functions. Park Commissioners must commit to attending monthly Board meetings, currently held on the fourth Tuesday of the month at 7:00 p.m.
- Understand the Prospect Heights Park District’s mission, services, policies and programs.
- Review agenda and supporting Board packet materials before Board meetings.
- Abide by the policies of the Prospect Heights Park District and Federal and State statutes governing the operations of the Park District.
- Assist the Board in carrying out its fiduciary duties.
- Park Commissioners serve in a volunteer capacity and without monetary compensation.
Our Board of Commissioners
Tim Jones, President
Ellen Avery, Vice President
Eric Kirste, Treasurer
Betty Cloud, Secretary
Karl Jackson, Commissioner
Steve Messer, Commissioner
Contact Our Board of Commissioners
For Board Meeting Information:
All residents are welcome to our Board Meetings held on the fourth Tuesday of each month. All the meetings will be held at 7:00 p.m. at the Gary Morava Recreation Center, 110 West Camp McDonald Road, Prospect Heights, IL 60070.