Prospect Heights Park District Board Vacancy
The Prospect Heights Park District Board of Commissioners is looking for another member to be appointed through April 2021 at which time the seat is subject to an election for a two-year term.
A seven-member elected board governs the park district; each serves a four-year term, with elections every two years. Those interested must be a resident of the park district for at least one year and be a registered voter within the park district boundaries. The district serves most of the city of Prospect Heights, a small portion of the village of Mount Prospect, Arlington Heights and Wheeling and non-residents from surrounding communities. The estimated population of the district is approximately 15,000.
The purpose of a board member is to develop policies; devise long-range plans, procedures and regulations for operations of the agency; monitor finances; and serve as a voting member. All board members are expected to attend monthly meetings, participating on various committees and attend standing committee meetings if a member. Members must be well-informed and aware of the needs of the community, participate in organizational decision-making, assume leadership roles in all board activities, represent the organization to the public and private industry and contribute skills, knowledge and experience when appropriate.
The Park Board is seeking the best-qualified candidate for Park Commissioner, and provides equal opportunity in a manner which does not discriminate against any person because of race, creed, color, national origin, religion, sex, sexual orientation, ancestry, age, marital, civil union or family status . The Park Board reserves the right to accept or reject any and all applications, waive technicalities and select the individual that best meets the requirements of the office of a Park Commissioner and the needs of the Park District.
Park Commissioner Qualifications:
- Each member of the Park Board of Commissioners must be a citizen of the United States, 18 years of age or older, a registered voter in the Prospect Heights Park District, a resident of the State of Illinois, and a resident within the Prospect Heights Park District’s jurisdictional boundaries.
- Residency must be established for a minimum of one year prior to submittal of the Park Commissioner application.
- A person is not eligible to serve as a Park Commissioner if that person is in arrears in the payment of tax or other indebtedness due to the Park District, or has been convicted in any court located in the United States of any infamous crime, bribery, perjury, or other felony.
- The candidate appointed to the Park Commissioner position will be required to file a “Statement of Economic Interest” with the County Clerk.
Basic Expectations of Park Commissioners:
- Attend Board meetings and functions. Park Commissioners must commit to attending monthly Board meetings, currently held on the fourth Tuesday of the month at 7:00 p.m.
- Understand the Prospect Heights Park District’s mission, services, policies and programs.
- Review agenda and supporting Board packet materials before Board meetings.
- Abide by the policies of the Prospect Heights Park District and Federal and State statutes governing the operations of the Park District.
- Assist the Board in carrying out its fiduciary duties.
- Park Commissioners serve in a volunteer capacity and without monetary compensation.
Applicants for this position must submit their resume and a letter of interest via email to firstname.lastname@example.org or mailed to Christina Ferraro, Executive Director, 110 W. Camp McDonald Road, Prospect Heights, IL 60070 and must be received no later than August 21. The board will interview applicants in September and plan to make an appointment in October or November. For further information, please visit www.phparks.org or call 847.394.2848
Our Board of Commissioners
Tim Jones, President
Eric Kirste, Vice President
Vicki Carney, Treasurer
Ellen Avery, Secretary
Karl Jackson, Commissioner
Betty Cloud, Commissioner
Contact Our Board of Commissioners
For Board Meeting Information:
All residents are welcome to our Board Meetings held on the fourth Tuesday of each month. All the meetings will be held at 7:00 p.m. at the Gary Morava Recreation Center, 110 West Camp McDonald Road, Prospect Heights, IL 60070.